Sunday, July 6, 2008

Don’t Buy Computer, Video, or Board Games Unless You Have Time to Play Them

Ever since my parents bought me the second installment of King's Quest for our Tandy 1000 when I was 10 years-old back in 1987, I have loved playing strategy computer games. During college and law school, I didn't have time to play any PC games, so a few years ago, after the bar exam, I went on a major spending spree at Best Buy.

First, I bought The Sims. Omigod, was that ever a mistake! I loved playing that game so much, I had to buy all the expansion packs because my Sims needed vacations! They needed pets! They needed gardens! They needed magic!

After my Sims progressed up the corporate ladder, got married, had kids, and moved into the biggest house in the neighborbood, the game became redundant so I moved on to more exciting things...like running my own farm in American Farmer...my own restaurant in Diner Dash...my own coffee house in Coffee House Chaos. After I got bored with those, I tried to upgrade to The Sims 2, but fortunately my old, out-of-date computer didn't have a fast enough processor or else I'd probably still be controlling the lives of my Sims in Sim City.

My computer died last month so I had to buy a new one. My new computer has a really powerful processor and tons of memory so it would be perfect for playing games like The Sims 2, but I am not going to buy any more games. My PC game playing days are over, and I'm not remotely interested in Xbox games or Wii games.

While games are a great stress reliever, they're also a huge waste of time and money. The $150.00 I spent on PC games could have been put toward my student loan debt; furthermore, all the time I spent playing them could have been used for more productive activities like decluttering my house or getting my finances in order.

Oh, well. Play and learn.

7 comments:

nixtress said...

I never really got a good hang on the original Sims. I'd been waiting for YEARS to get Sims2. This year I finally got it. I made Sims for myself and my boyfriend. They made whoopie. They had a baby. They retired, at which point I said "OMG, we look BAD as old people." and I stopped playing it.

I don't ever seem to have more than a month attention span on any game like that.

yellowdoggranny said...

never got into those computer games..i loved pac man though

Beverly said...

i LOVED the sims!!!! omg i had ALL of the expansions. i used to pirate a lot of games but i would actually go and spend money on the Sims because i loved it so much. there are some companies i'm willing to actually give money to because i enjoy the games so much. i don't play a lot of games anymore - but i loved diablo, starcraft, warcraft and other games like that.

Heidi said...

Nixtress: I thought it would be so fun to watch my Sims grow from birth to old age! Guess not! LOL

Yellowdog Granny: I LOVE Pacman and Ms. Pacman. It's a good thing I don't own those games, or I'd play them all the time!

Beverly: I must say I got my money's worth out of the Sims. Best game ever!

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://cyropepeqi.greatnow.com/zysafy.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

[size=72][color=red][url=http://www.go4you.net/go.php?sid=9]Pezda[/url][/color][/size]

[size=72][color=red][url=http://www.go4you.net/go.php?sid=9]norton [/url][/color][/size]

Anonymous said...

It's actually very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on TV, therefore I simply use world wide web for that purpose, and get the most up-to-date information.
http://www.sayes.co/de/22-nicer-dicer-plus.html